Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend Love Moments: St.Patricks Day, March 17th, 13

It is a bright and beautiful St.Patricks Day today!!

I have had a wonderful weekend I hope you all have had a splendid one too! Here is the recipe for the delicious Lentil & Yam Stew that I posted about earlier in the week.


Lentil & Yam Stew
Adapted from the "Meatless" Cookbook
Serves 8
GF, DF, Meatless

Ingredients: 
2 tbsp olive oil
1 med white onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp curry powder
1 19oz can of brown lentils, rinsed
1 large Yam, peeled and diced into cubes
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, in juice
4 cups of vegetable broth
3 cups of water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions:
In a large soup pot saute the onions, celery, carrots, and bay leaf, continue stirring until everything is soft and the onion is translucent.

Add garlic and curry powder and cook for about a minute.

Add your vegetable broth and water. Add the lentils. Bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add in your yams and cook covered until the yams are soft.

Add the tomatoes, add salt and pepper to taste.

Scoop out the bay leaves :) no one wants to get a mouth full of bay leaf while they are trying to enjoy their stew.

And Serve!

Love Moments for the weekend! 

Love Moment 1:
Spring is in the air and the moss is looking very green for St.Patricks Day! 


Love Moment 2:
St.Patricks Day Dinner & Poker Night! 


We had proscuitto wrapped asparagus and baba ganoush with bread to start off the night right!

Jenna is looking like a very good homemaker serving up our Bangers and Mash Irish Dinner. We had all natural lamb and turkey sausages thanks to David and Jenna. I made a cauliflower and potato garlic mash, with a gluten free, dairy free mushroom and onion gravy.

We had an epic game of poker, eight people with a $5 buy in! It was so much fun!


Have you ever had an Irish Car Bomb! Well it is probably one of the more disgusting shots that I have tried. It is a shot of whiskey and baileys that you drop into a glass of Guinness. I managed to get one and only one of those shots down! 


Most of all it was just a really fun night of laughing and spending time with family!  


Love Moment 3:
Homework & Movie Sunday! 

Both mike and I have mounds of homework to do, so we are going to spend the entire day reading and studying! Sounds riveting doesn't it! I also like to multi-task and since I was in high school have always done my homework with silly movies playing in the background. Even if I have readings the movies are still playing. I don't know how I manage to work like this but it has always worked for me, lol! 

I am looking forward to making  a Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Bisque for dinner tonight and I am going to try to make spiced nuts for lunch snacks this week. I have a very large bag of almonds that we need to get through so I figured lets jazz them up a bit! 

I have been having a hard time lately thinking of snack ideas for mike, that boy just eats so much food.  I haven't been buying grocery store granola bars as they are essentially just sugar. We have been doing hummus and GF tortilla chips, or veges lately. But I need to come up with some better snack ideas! 

What do you do for healthy snacks during the week?

Have a great St.Patricks Day Sunday everyone!!! 


5 comments:

  1. Your poker night looks like a blast! Bangers and mash all the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! you cant go wrong with bangers and mash!

      Delete
  2. Lentils and yams are definitely two of my favorite foods, so that stew recipe sounds super delicious! Thanks for sharing :).

    My favorite healthy snacks during the week are bananas, apples, carrots w/ hummus, almonds, and the healthier bars (like Larabars).

    ReplyDelete
  3. my healthy snack idea is avocado and salmon dip with healthy crackers, rice crackers work really well. u can use smoked salmon or tinned salmon and mix it up in the avocado, although don't mash it completely, leave some chunkiness in the texture! then just add some sea salt and garlic/onion powder if you wish. it's really yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...