Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring Forward!!

Happy Monday Everyone!!

It definitely feels like spring is in the air! It is so nice to be siting here typing out this post at 7pm and it is still light outside.

I managed to get out for a 2.5 mile run after work, fit in 20 minutes of strength training, and a light 10 min cool down and stretch and its still light out!

Tonight I made a very well balanced meal, if I do say so myself :) I wanted something that was fast and packed full of protein.

I decided on Pineapple Curry Chicken, with steamed broccoli and crazy rice!

Pineapple Curry Chicken, Steamed Broccoli, and Crazy Rice! 
Crazy Rice is very simple, and really not that crazy :)

2 cups of brown rice
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste (try to use sea salt)

Cook the brown rice as per instructions, as it is simmering and when there is about 15 minutes left on the clock add in your spices and salt and pepper, add in the kidney beans. Stir it all together and simmer for the remaining 15 minutes. This is a nice change to regular old brown rice. And because you are combining rice and beans you are eating a complete protein, this a great example of food combining. I top it with a bit of sriracha for heat, and because sriracha pretty much tastes good on anything!

Last week for a treat I made Chocolate Pudding ( aka avocado pudding) sounds gross but it is sooooo amazing! I could eat it all day long.







(sorry the pics are not awesome and it is in Tupperware containers because we took it for a snack at work)

I used this recipe below from The Whole Food Athlete


Ingredients
  • 3 ripe medium avocados, scooped out
  • 6 tbsp cup cacao powder
  • 3/4 cup dates (make sure they are pitted! or you will find out quickly when you try to process them)
  • 3/4 cup vegan (almond or coconut) milk
  • Optional: 1 tsp of vanilla, cinnamon and/or coconut extract
Directions:
  1. Blend all ingredients into a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy
  2. If necessary, add additional dates, milk or cacao powder  to get desired consistency and taste
  3. Spoon into a large bowl. Refrigerate until serving. OR, spoon into Ramekins, demitasse cups or other small dessert bowls, then refrigerate until serving.
  4. Get creative with the toppings (just make sure they are raw, vegan, gluten-free). Shredded coconut and fresh strawberries are fantastic.
On a side note, my poor fur child has started to limp on her front right leg :( and we have no idea why. She has been very sad today.... I am taking her on very short, light walks but I really hope she gets better soon.

Have a wonderful Monday night everyone,


4 comments:

  1. I have seen the avocado pudding recipe before, but have never tried it. Looks dreamy though! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I might try that recipe with quinoa sometime soon. And I need to try that pudding recipe, I have so many avocados right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing about this avocado chocolate pudding! It looks so delicious; I'll have to try it soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need try this avocado pudding. seems delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...