Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Snack Time Fail! - Curry Roasted Almonds

The Enemy - aka Curry Roasted Almonds 
Well.....the picture of these Curry Roasted Almonds doesn't look that bad but I wouldn't call them a spectacular kitchen win either. Luckily Mike really liked them so they did get eaten and did not go to waste. I have a really hard time wasting food in the kitchen!

I had such high hopes for these yummy almond morsels. I thought they would be perfect to enjoy as weekday snacks at work and school. I haven't made spiced nuts before only candied pecans (which are amazing and I could eat everyday if  they weren't unhealthy!) so I was definitely guessing at quantities, timing, etc...... and just hoping they turned out amazing! Well.... they didn't. Here is my process of failure.....

Curry Roasted Almonds

Ingredients:
3 cups of almonds
2 tbsp of curry
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of sea salt
dash of pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp of hazelnut oil
1 tbsp of maple syrup

Instructions: 
Pre-heat oven to 275. Put tin foil onto a baking sheet.

I mixed all the above dry spices into a bowl, then I add the spices to the liquid mixture. Which was olive oil, hazelnut oil, and maple syrup. I think it started off by having too much olive/hazelnut oil in the mix so they were too liquidy to start.

I then poured the whole thing into my bowl of almonds and mixed it all up. Poured them onto the baking sheet, and baked at 275 for 10 mins. Then I checked in on them, mixed them up, and baked them for another 10 mins. They still didn't look right  (too wet) so I decided to broil them on Low. Well I forgot about them and I swear they were only in there for what felt like 2 minutes but low and behold I look over at the stove and there was clouds of smoke billowing out of it! Yikes! I ran over and managed to rescue my poor almonds from their burning demise.

They were not ruined altogether but they had a nice crunch hahahah. They had a slight burnt flavor, but more of an overpowering curry flavor.

Needless to say they were not my finest work in the kitchen, and although I didn't like them much, mike devoured all of them.

And suggestions on how to make a better spiced snack almonds would be greatly appreciated!!! 

On another note:
I set up Zumba classes at my office as I head up our Health & Wellness Program. Our first class is tomorrow and I am both excited and nervous for it. I haven't done Zumba,  I have watched YouTube videos, done a crappy at home version which I don't think is the same thing. But never actually been taught by a real Zumba instructor or in front of other people let alone people I work with. I am generally a pretty uncoordinated person, I trip over my own feet and walk into walls quite often so Zumba is probably going to be a rather challenging experience for me. LOL I think I will stick to the back of the classroom and just dance around doing my own thing to get my exercise in! lol Kinda like how Phoebe on Friends runs to the beat of her own drum! I love the running episode with her and Rachel in central park, one of my favorites!  Phoebe will be my inspiration for Zumba tomorrow.

Has any one ever tried Zumba? How did you like it?

Have a great rest of your day!


5 comments:

  1. Spiced almonds are so hard to make for some reason. I always burn those suckers. And let me know how zumba goes! That's like the one class in my gym I'm afraid to take! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh zumba ... that def works your hips. ;) strangely I like my almonds normal. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad to hear that these did not turn out as well as you had hoped. They certainly look and sound SO good! I am a curry fanatic :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. they looked so good! sorry to hear that they got burnt! maybe bake them next time? good luck with zumba, i've been meaning to try out that class at my gym but there's always such a huge line up outside the door 30 mins before it starts that it becomes really discouraging! i think i have to find something just as good but less popular and do it before everyone else finds out about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, bummer about the almonds! They look delicious, either way :)

    You're going to LOVE zumba! It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...